Search This Blog

Sunday, 17 April 2011

Half-Moon Apple Delight

I'm too sweet to have a sweet tooth. Ha!
But sometimes I do crave something sweet, and when I do, its usually something fruity. Berry-anything is my favorite, but I also love cooking with apples. The Apple. Available almost everywhere, delicious and crunchy, the apple is as versatile as you get them. There are more than 7,500 known varieties of apples, which means that almost every desired characteristic you want - sweet, tart, crisp, sharp, honeyed - you can have.

I'm using Golden Delicious apples today. These apples are exceptionally sweet, with a rich, mellow flavor - when allowed to ripen fully on the tree, and eaten fresh, its almost like eating raw sugar cane! Golden Delicious is also one of the best all-around cooking apples, as it maintains its shape after baking.


So while I'm craving something sweet to go with my after dinner espresso shot, I'm way too lazy to bother with anything too complicated. All I want is a little pick-me-upper! I decide on "Half-Moon Apple Delight," inspired, believe it or not, from a bachelor friend from my Manhattan days. The genuis of this recipe is that it can be ready and done in 5 minutes, there is no whipping, no whisking and no baking - just the thing I'm after right now!

Here's what you need:

-          2 tbsp unsalted butter
-          2 tbsp brown sugar
-          6 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and sliced
-          4 large croissants, halved lenghtwise
-          Vanilla ice cream
-          1/2 tspn ground cinnamon powder, for dusting
Add the sugar to a saucepan and cook it over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar melts and begins to caramalise. Add butter to the pan and mix together until you get a caramel sauce. You should now start to get a delicious "caramelly" aroma from the mixture. Add the apples and turn them around, so all sides cook evenly. Simmer the apple mixture until the apples are fork tender.
Heat the croissants in an oven or grill until browned and giving off that wonderful "just-baked" smell. Split the croissant halves open, spoon on the warm caramalised apple mixture, dust with cinnamon powder. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. Perfect with a shot of hot, strong espresso!

No comments:

Post a Comment