Search This Blog

Friday, 15 June 2012

Friday's Treat: Orange-Chocolate Mousse

Guys, I’ve been wanting to share this recipe for ages, but I’ve been too busy making Eggs Florentine and not making Peanut Butter and Jelly.

Talk about priorities.

But today is Friday.
Which means, today is the day.
Because on Friday – everyone deserves a treat!
And this treat is perfect. Just perfect. Actually, it’s beyond perfect.

Just the thing to kick start a beyond perfect weekend.

So, I’m going to keep this short and sweet so that we can all get started on our beyond perfect weekends.

And no matter what other plans you have for your weekend, guys – just get your lips around these luscious little lovelies, and there's no way your weekend will be anything short of beyond perfect.

This is not only a promise, this is a money-back guarantee.

In fact, I can't wait to get started on mine!

(Which are cooling in the fridge right now)

So I have to wait for them.
Although I don’t want to.
I hate waiting.
Patience is not a virtue that’s mine.
(Is that a bad thing?)

Anyway: this is orange-chocolate mousse, seriously the most divine combination that God ever made.

A marriage made in heaven. Truly.

The first time I had these creamy, dreamy pots was in my x-boss's house, made by his x-wife, and should have come (rather appropriately), with an x-rated certificate - they were that sinfully good.

And while everyone else was gathered around the living room animatedly discussing the eccentricities of the Chinese equity markets (or something), I was lingering by the dessert table and trying (and failing) not to lose myself in an orange flavoured sea of decadence...

Which sounds far more interesting, don't you think?

I mean, if I knew these people better, I'd have stuck a finger into the bowl and licked it clean. But I didn't, and so I didn't. And I lived to regret this decision forever.

Close your eyes and have a taste (in your heads)

Dark, dense, rich chocolate
Citrusy, tangy, bittersweet orange
Now put them together...
Feel the rich, sensuous cocoa-cream shashaying in your mouth, the vanilla-perfumed orange-y notes swirling on your tongue...you won't know where one ends and the other begins...until you melt completely into it...
Now, stop dreaming, and open your eyes.
And read on.
So you can have a taste (in real life)
Which is gonna be oh-soooooo  much better!

So here’s what you need:

- 8oz good quality dark chocolate
- Juice and zest of 2 oranges
- 1 tbsp Grand Marnier
- 120 ml double cream. Or if you’re watching your weight - 110ml. Hee! 
- 4 eggs

Here’s how you do it:

First, finely chop the chocolate.
And please, please, please – this is only going to be as good as the chocolate you use. So be picky!

Now, bring the 120ml of cream (or the 100 ml) to a boil in a large saucepan, then turn off the heat and add the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate melts completely and you have yourself a smooth, creamy paste. Now for the good part - add in the orange juice, zest and Grand Marnier.

By now, a divine, heady aroma will be wafting through your house. If you have guests over, they will never want to leave.

(I think that's a good thing).

Anywayseparate the egg whites from the yolks.

Add the egg yolks to the cream and chocolate mixture and whisk together.
Whisk up the egg whites until you have a nice fluffy texture. Now, gently – and with love – fold in the the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.

Pour the mix into glass dessert bowls (or if you have nice shot glasses, they make for a lovely - and very professional - look too!) and put it in the fridge until ready to eat.

But before that, stick a finger in. And put it straight into your mouth.
Go ahead – I give you permission! No regrets, guys!

:D

When you are ready to serve, decorate the top with sliced oranges, and let the fun begin!

This is indulgence to the core, guys. Pure temptation. Dark, decadent and devilishly delicious!


A TOTAL TREAT!!

And mark my words - it’ll be gone before Sunday.
Or if you're like me - before Friday night.
(But don't be like me)

In fact, I’m going to the fridge to get mine now. 

So goodbye! And have yourself a beyond perfect weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment