Search This Blog

Thursday, 18 June 2015

Invest - in a Nutribullet (and in yourself)


Disclaimer:
* I own a Nutribullet
* I have endorsed products before
* This isn't one of them i.e. this blogpost is not sponsored by Nutribullet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right, so following on from my last post on fried eggs and veggies - which I know, when you're running out the door, so late for work that you've got your heels in your hands and your keys in your mouth, really wouldn't be high up on your list of priorities. And so I promised to do a quick, healthy, on-the-go breakfast, and since I always keep my promises (I'm nice like that), here we are.

Now, if available to you where you live, please could you all just buy yourself a Nutribullet?
It's on Amazon right here
And ok, it's not exactly cheap, but it won't break the bank either, so please humour me a second. And let's all just do some Maths.
Didja hear me, folks?
Let's all do some Maths, I said.
Which is revolutionary, really because never, in a million years did I ever expect to use that line - Maths makes me shudder see. I'm the one who the Maths teacher always hated. Which is OK. Because my English teachers always liked me. Especially that one at University who looked like he spent his days writing ballads for god knows whom (OWU people, you with me here?!) and I'd always rather have it that way.

Anyway, sorry got a bit distracted there. Though if you went to University with me, you'd know exactly why. In fact you'd be grinning right now. And Facebooking the said Professor to see who he ended up writing those ballads for.  I have...(and she's prettier than me. Damn.)

Annywaay...

Back to Maths and the cost of the Nutribullet. So if you amortise (yes, yes, not just Maths, but complex Maths) the cost of this "thing" over all the many, many years of breakfasts and healthy snacking you will get out of it, and (intangibly) by the tremendous benefit it will do to your physical and mental wellbeing - trust me when I say it's worth every last penny.

See, Crush charge an average of £5  per glass of what the Nutribullet would do for you. 20 days and you've recovered your investment. Bam.

(I mean, are you proud of me?)
(That's some good Maths, huh?)

Incidentally, Juice Tonic, straight out of California and into the heart of Soho charge £5.50, Pure (with branches all over London) charges £4'ish and Wild Juicery in Covent Garden charge £4.80.

OK, so there you go. It's worth it.
Absolutely, without the shadow of a doubt, worth it.

On a related note - for those of you who know me, you know I stand relatively unmatched when it comes to cynicism - I detest false marketing and I try to resist the temptation to fall headlong for the
next faddy product that seems all the rage. This one isn't a gimmick, I promise you. I've tried and tested the Nutribullet with as much skepticism as I could muster (dare I say I almost wanted it to fail) - and can unreservedly say that this thing has done wonders for our lifestyle.

Now, I use the vague and woefully undescriptive word "thing" to describe the Nutribullet with thoughtful deliberation, because in reality, it's not really a blender and it’s not really a juicer. David Wolfe is the creator of the Nutribullet and he calls the NutriBullet an "extractor." The problem with most juicers, see, is that you end up throwing away 90% of the nutrients from fruits and vegetables in the form of fibre. It’s because juicing “squeezes” the extract, so you end up adding fructose without the fibre. You might as well "eat" a glass of sugar.

A blender, on the other hand, retains all the nutrients and breaks down the fiber. Nutribullet's claim is that it will not only retain the nutrients, but will also break down the fibre much better than a blender will. So, it helps "unlock" the vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids (such as omega-3s) that have been trapped within the cell walls of vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds.

I use mine for fruit as well as vegetable smoothies - the "green smoothies" that seem to have exploded in popularity of late and that, by the way, I have an amazing recipe for that doesn't taste like lawn, and that I will share with you shortly - stay tuned!

Today's smoothie combines berries, chard and seeds, which gives you a carb-free, completely balanced breakfast or snack in under 5 minutes of prep. You've given yourself a boost of Potassium, and Vitamins A and C plus, your smoothie is full of insoluble fibre from the pomegranate pith, which helps you to feel satisfied longer, helps clean your digestive tract and also helps regulate blood sugar and insulin secretion. Consider it a super detox smoothie because that's exactly what it is.

Here's what you need:

5 cubes ice
1 cup Rainbow chard
½ of a medium pomegranate, scooped out with most of the pith intact
½ cup berry mix (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries)
1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
½ cup unsweetened greek yogurt to the max line

Don't squirm at the thought of chard - I've not put in a lot and honestly, you’ll barely notice and taste it (or any vegetable for that matter) as long as you get a ratio of 50% fruits with 50% vegetables.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment