Search This Blog

Monday, 1 June 2015

Roasted Cod with Spring Vegetables

Well, hello.
It's been a while, but it's not been for want of want.
You know.
I mean, I've wanted to.
I always want to.
It's just that Time - yes, that pesky little fact of life - always seems to pass me by. Another day, another week, another month.
But I won't linger on the already, still, yet and no longer.
And so, here we are.

Well, Hello Yesterday.

And speaking of time, it's night time and still it's bright, my windows open to the soft air, curtains fluttering, flowers moving as if caught in a breeze...it's my favourite time of year, heralding blue cloudless skies and long, sunny days; the spring wind, warm with just that dash of chill; daffodils and rose buds and fruit and veg so fresh, it makes you want to dance in the aisles of the supermarket. Well, it makes ME want to dance, I must clarify, not YOU. You're not (necessarily) cool like that. I, on the other hand, am the reason the great Oxford Dictionary invented the word "cool."
That's not entirely true of course, but it just makes me feel good to think so.
So.
:)

Here's something else that makes me feel good - my Roasted Cod with Spring Vegetables.
I've been trying - for months now - to eat more fish. Honestly if I could get all my protein from fish, it's what I'd do. It's a top-of-the-line nutrient dense food, high in protein, high in Omega-3 fat, good for your heart, good for your brain, chock full of B-12, and iron. If you can, it would really be one of the most powerful changes you can make to your diet.
Couple that with vegetables?
You're golden.
And really, there's something very magical that happens when "vegetables" meet "roasted"...when the heat of the oven releases the natural sugars from the veg. caramelising them slowly...yum. It's just perfectly...PERFECT. Yup, perfectly perfect.
And light and healthy and colourful and seasonal.
And you can throw it together in minutes and it still looks impressive (ask me, besides being cool, I'm also the Queen of Deception, hee!)

Here's what you need:

Just go your local market, and buy what is fresh and beautiful. I've done peppers, tomatoes, olives and courgette, but you can mix it around. Asparagus works, as do mushrooms. Or squash. Or brinjal. That's the beauty of cooking good food - it's versatile, it's what YOU want it to be.

Anyway, here goes my take!

- 2 red peppers, 2 orange peppers, 2 green peppers - the small, sweet kind; deseeded and halved
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- LOTS of cherry tomatoes
- 4 garlic pods, skins intact
- 1 medium courgette/zucchini trimmed and cut into 2cm slices
- 4 skinless cod fillets (about 600g/1lb 5oz)
- 2-3 tsp high quality balsamic
- Handful black olives
- Small bunch basil

Heres how you do it:

Preheat the oven to 220C/Gas 7. Put the peppers, tomatoes, courgettes, garlic and onion in a large baking tray and drizzle them with some olive oil. Season with a little salt and lots of ground black pepper and toss everything together until the vegetables are lightly coated with oil. Roast for 20 minutes until softened and lightly charred.

Separately, season the fish with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Then take the baking tray out of the oven and make gaps in the vegetables to make space for the fish. Place the fish on the tray.

Put the tray back in the oven for another 12–15 minutes or until the fish is cooked, then chuck in the black olives, drizzle with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar and throw in some fresh basil.

Gosh, this dish is so beautiful it's making my skirt fly up.
Or...is that the open window?

No comments:

Post a Comment