Search This Blog

Wednesday, 18 June 2014

An Ode to Writing. And to Salmon. But Mostly to Writing.

This is much harder than I ever imagined it would be - this picking up where we dropped off business.
Especially in light of the fact that Sid and I talk about it a few months ago...

In sort of comes out of the blue you know, although I have been expecting it for a while, somewhere in the hidden recesses of my mind. But still, it surprises me. Maybe because I want it to. It makes hearing it easier somehow.

"When are you going to start writing again?" he asks casually.
But I know he's anything but. There's almost a rebuke in there somewhere, I know him well enough to hear it.
I turn to face him, look straight into his almond eyes.
"I don't know...I need to get back into it...it takes a lot of effort you know" I say defensively. "Writing is hard. Good writing is hard anyway"
"No it's not - he says - not for you.  For you, it comes easy"

And while I dismiss him on the face of it, like we all do when a compliment is flung our way - one that somehow obliges one to act on it - inside, I believe him. Mostly because I want to.
You see because my love affair with words is stronger than any association I've had with almost anything else in my life.
And so I think maybe, just maybe, he is right.
That Writing will come back to me.
And we will be, once again, good friends.
Pick up where we dropped off.

But no.
It doesn't.
It's peeved at me like a churlish lover who's been ignored too long.
My excuses (particularly trying pregnancy? new baby? moving cities? new home, new life, new everything???) fall on deaf ears.
Unrequited love folks. It's hard.

So Writing spurns me and I spend many long hours in front of a blank screen, cursor blinking patiently, trying to conjure up something worth reading.
But I can't.
I try.
And I fail. And I fail. And I fail.

And so eventually, I realise I'm on my own.
And I grit my teeth and carry on.
I write.
Mostly rubbish.
And I want to give up several times.
But I cannot.
Im not the giving up type you see.

And so we come to today.
And I write. And it's still partly rubbish. Which is better than mostly rubbish.
So I decide to give it a go.

So here we are again. You and Me. And Food. And Words.
All that I love and always will.

Be kind to me, my friends, with these first few posts...
Be patient.
Because Writing and I need to become friends again.
And that may be a while yet.
And when we do, I'll let you know.
Or perhaps you'll let me know.

So:

I made this one for lunch today, and it simply had to be shared. Try it and you'll see why.

Heres what you need:

For the Rice
1 cup basmati rice
1 cup coconut milk
1 cube stock
salt to taste

For the Salmon
400g boneless salmon fillets
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 small red chillies, finely chopped
2 tbsp. honey
1/4 cup orange juice
2 cloves crushed garlic
3 tbsp. fresh ginger, chopped finely

Heres how you do it:

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the garlic, ginger, and red chilli and stir over low heat for a few minutes. Add the orange juice and stir until the sauce reduces by about half. Add the lemon juice, soy sauce and honey and cook until you see the glaze thicken. Remove from heat.

Preheat the grill.

Cut the salmon fillets into chunky cubes. Rub the glaze into the salmon chunks and marinate by
leaving covered for about 20 minutes. Place under the grill for a few minutes until the glaze is sticky and yummy and caramelized and the fish is cooked through.

Meanwhile, wash the rice in cold running water until the water runs clear and drain off. Combine the stock, coconut milk, and salt in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Add the rice and stir. Cover the pan and simmer over low heat, until all the water has been absorbed and the the rice is fluffy.

Transfer rice to a plate, spoon the salmon and glaze on top and there you have it. This is classic lunchtime fare folks - light and luscious, tasty and delicious and positively bursting with Omega-3 goodness. Just the thing when you're stuck in that moment between somewhat hungry and not hungry enough.

Which is me now, so I'm off - but see you very soon.

Because here we are again. You and Me. And Food. And Words.
All that I love and always will.

An Ode to Writing
And to Salmon
But Mostly to Writing
(Lest it gets peeved again)

No comments:

Post a Comment