Search This Blog

Monday, 28 September 2015

Blackmailed!


I've been put on the spot by a very special friend who's just messaged me saying "Write--or cook--cuz now I'm hungry
wink emoticon xxx"

Hmmm...

Now that's what one calls proper emotional blackmail.
Which has properly worked.
Because if I ignored hunger pangs from anyone, let alone those of a friend, what kind of foodie would that make me seriously?
Because any foodie worth their salt NEVER ignores hunger pangs.
And so the fire has been lit.

And I scratch the itch to cook.
And to write.

Which is why I always say it's a good idea to have something up your sleeve that you can cook quickly, and simply, when you've got friends coming over at short notice.
Or you get cyber-emotionally-blackmailed
(What a ridiculous world we live in!)

So, anyway, where was I?
Yes, good idea to have something etc.
This is that thing.

When I asked said friend what they fancied, they replied with - "ok am about to go to the gym so maybe a nice post workout meal. Some kind of thai or asian chicken/fish curry?"

Your wish is my command, I aim to please, etc etc etc.
So Asian Fish Curry it is.
I had most of the ingredients in my store cupboard, but if you don't, it's an easy shop for stuff that will come in handy several times over.

Here's what you need:

- 1 400 ml tin coconut milk
- 1 - 2 tablespoon thai curry paste (I only happen to have yellow on me, but it works as well with red)
- 1 kilogram pumpkin or butternut squash peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
- 500 grams salmon fillets (pref organic) skinned and cut into large bite sized chunks
- pak choi (or any other green veg of your choice)
- 350 ml fish stock
- 3 tablespoons thai fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 kaffir lime leaves (if possible)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric


Here's how you do it:

Pour about a quarter of the coconut milk into a large saucepan with the curry paste on medium heat. Let it sizzle and, using a fork, beat the mixture together until well combined.
Now, add in the rest of the coconut milk, fish stock, fish sauce, sugar,  lime leaves and turmeric. Bring to a boil and then add the pumpkin/squash. Simmer on low heat until the pumpkin is tender, with just a tiny bit of bite to it.
Now, add in the salmon until cooked through, 3-4 minutes, stir in any green veg you're using - sliced, chopped or shredded as your little heart desires - and mix in.
When the vegetables have wilted, squeeze in the juice of half a lime, stir and taste and add the juice of the remaining half if you feel it needs it. Take the pan off the heat or and eat with some plain basmati or Thai rice.

Flavourful, nutritious, aromatic, filling and delicious - a perfect post work out meal, I hope?

P.S. - Sorry for the delay. I went for my 5K run.
(As you knew I would)
x








No comments:

Post a Comment